Friday, September 4, 2009

Why do you take it?!

Yesterday I had a patient ask me what his Ativan is for. He is allowed 60 Ativan 2mg every month and he asks me once a week when he can have it.

Yesterday I gave it to him, and he said "no, I want the Ativan."

I said "that is your Ativan"

"No, I want the brown Ativan".

I look at my student. His blood pressure pill is brown.

Then his asked me what Ativan is for. Perhaps we need to reassess his need for Ativan!



_________


This brings me to a more serious subject. Prescription Drug Abuse. I'm really hoping the recent deaths of Micheal Jackson and DJ AM will shed some much needed light on this subject. Every day that I work, I struggle to determine whether at patient requires the med, or just wants the med and I'm sure its somewhere in between. Pharmacists and technicians have to make the decision whether or not an individual is at risk of abusing a drug they need. It's tough as you know they have pain or anxiety, but you also know they are not using the medication as intended. How do you help someone who doesn't want to help themselves. How can you help someone when you can't get the prescribing doctor on your side?


I don't want to be the pill police!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment